It’s time to get outdoors and enjoy the lovely weather and sunshine, and exercising is certainly a healthy and great way to do it. Why not run or jog while you’re surrounded by the beautiful natural surroundings of Hilton Head Island?
Here are our top picks for the best places to run on Hilton Head Island:
1) The beach – Of course the beach has to top our list! With 12 miles of beach on the island, you can find plenty of places to jog while taking in the salty sea air and amazing views. Be sure to keep your eyes open for dolphins, too! Watch the tidal charts for low tide, which will be your best bet for having the most beach for running.
2) The 12 mile bridge loop– Many see the bridge as the beginning of their vacation when they cross over from the mainland to the island. Enjoy running the bridge with its fantastic views and then loop around the island. This is a challenging run, be sure to bring a water bottle.
3) Sea Pines Forest Preserve – Stick to the paved paths within this natural area, which offers plenty of views from hanging moss and ancient shell rings to marsh grass and an assortment of wildlife and wildflowers. Note there is a $5/car fee to enter Sea Pines if you are not a guest there.
4) Pinckney Island–Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuge near Hilton Head offers more than 14 miles of hiking and biking trails with beautiful views of lakes, marshes, wildlife and more. Trail maps available at the parking lot kiosk.
5) Shelter Cove Community Park to Coligny Beach 9 mile out & back. Running paths take you from the harbor to the beach. Stop, take in the view, get some water and head back. Moderate
6) Palmetto Dunes, with miles of running paths and access to the beach this run is for anyone.